The recipe supposedly dates back to the Renaissance. A legend claims that it was created for Lorenzo the Magnificent and rediscovered by Gaetano Tuoni and Giorgio Canepa in 1938.
The liquor was first created as Brandy Milk, produced with milk, brandy and vanilla. Later on, milk was dropped from the recipe, and the name was changed to Tuoca. In the 1960s, Mario di Grazia, an Italian and the owner of a chain of liquor stores in San Francisco, began selling the liquor in the United States. After that, in order to make easier the pronunciation in English the name changed again to Tuaca.