The recipes and knowledge have been passed down and shared through family and community ties. Some mezcaleros follow their grandfathers’ traditions to the letter, while others experiment to carefully fine-tune the laborious process in accordance with their own tastes, observations, and relationships with the natural world. No two productions can ever be exactly the same as environmental conditions, water, natural yeasts, and soil types all contribute to their nuances just as much as the touch of their maker.
Since 2012, our friendships and working relationships with families in rural communities in Miahuatlán and the Central Valleys of Oaxaca have granted us participation in a world elusive to those not born into it. It is this humbling privilege that allows us to present a carefully curated selection of extraordinary spirits that would otherwise never be found outside of their place of origin.
With the arrival of the full moon of early March 2020, Hermógenes and his wife, Paula, set out to harvest three fermentation tanks worth fully ripened capón, or quiotudo, Espadín from two different parcels of family land. Having cut the then burgeoning quiote a year prior, Hermógenes allowed the maguey to reach its peak in sugar content in order to capture a higher yield and produce a spirit with robust flavors and aromas. Given the quality of the maguey, ambient conditions, and the expertise of the husband and wife team, the two were about to compose a total of 380L at 50.5% using a careful mix of heads, hearts, and tails.
- Maguey(es): 100% capón Espadín (Agave angustifolia var.)
- Provenance of the maguey: Homegrown
- Producer: Hermógenes Vásquez García
- Region: Logoche, Miahuatlán
- Soil type: Tierra roja and Tierra negra parcels
- Rest time after harvest: Six days
- Oven: Conical earthen pit; six days with mesquite wood
- Rest time after oven: Eight days
- Maceration: Machete and shredder
- Fermentation: Native yeasts, three 1200L capacity Montezuma cypress sabino wood
- Dry fermentation time: 48 hours
- Wet fermentation time: eight days
- Distillation: 2x in copper pot stills
- Final composition: Heads, hearts, and tails
- Batch size: 380L
- Date of distillation: March 2020
- 750mL (liquor) size — NV (currently viewing)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.