"This is the legendary Kentucky bourbon that is the Chteau Latour of bourbons. Pure perfection, it is nearly impossible to find and retailers hate to have even a couple of bottles because it creates problems for them given the demand. Truth be told, it is everything one would want in a bourbon. With a deep amber color, it is one of the darkest of the Kentucky bourbons and boasts a strikingly intense, ... read more
"This is the legendary Kentucky bourbon that is the Chteau Latour of bourbons. Pure perfection, it is nearly impossible to find and retailers hate to have even a couple of bottles because it creates problems for them given the demand. Truth be told, it is everything one would want in a bourbon. With a deep amber color, it is one of the darkest of the Kentucky bourbons and boasts a strikingly intense, room-filling smorgasbord of aromas ranging from subtle smoky wood, caramelized orange rind, maple syrup, molasses, crme brle and cappuccino/coffee-like smell. Full and rich with profound sweetness, persistence and no hint of harshness or angularity, this prodigious bourbon could sit alongside the finest cognacs ever produced. It offers a remarkable tasting experience ...to be sipped, savored and like all the top bourbons, never diluted or served on ice."
"This is the only 23 year old Kentucky Bourbon sold in the country today. There are only 3,000 bottles of this very rare 23 year old bourbon. It takes generations of distilling know-how to produce a rare, well-aged bourbon like this. Only the most careful and expensive distilling method can be used to create a whiskey as special as this one. These barrels were carefully placed in the heart of the warehouse to receive the most benefit from the variable Kentucky seasons. Each season, the whiskey passes through the thin, caramel layer of the charred white oak barrels, picking up an enormous amount of color and flavor. This fine old whiskey should be enjoyed neat or over ice. Pappy used to say, why ship water all over the country. In keeping with his theory and practice, Julian Van Winkle has chosen to offer this whiskey at a higher than usual 95.6 proof. This higher proof allows all the incredible flavors to come out with each tasting. This truly is an older and wiser Pappy. " ~ Distillery notes
The Stitzel Distillery supplied much of the whiskey sold by the Weller wholesale firm. The consolidation coincided with prohibition during which time the Stitzel-Weller firm was licensed by the government to produce whiskey for medicinal purposes. One of their labels that was introduced on the market just before prohibition was Old Rip Van Winkle. After prohibition, the brand was not reintroduced until after 1972 when the Stitzel-Weller distillery and its current brand names (including W.L. Weller, Old Fitzgerald, Rebel Yell, and Cabin Still) were sold to other companies. The only brand name to which the Van Winkle family kept the rights was the pre-prohibition brand Old Rip Van Winkle.
The Stitzel-Weller plant was opened on the day of the Kentucky Derby in 1935, just outside Louisville in Shively, Kentucky. At the time of his death in 1965 at the age of 89, Pappy Van Winkle was the oldest active distiller in the nation. A photo of him graces the bottle's label.
Sometime after the Stitzel-Weller distillery was sold in 1972, Julian Van Winkle, Jr. resurrected the pre-prohibition Old Rip Van Winkle brand and initially used old whiskey stocks from the distillery for its bottlings. Julian Jr. died in 1981 and Julian Van Winkle, III (Pappy's grandson) took over the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery company.
After the initial sale in 1972, the Stitzel-Weller distillery was eventually closed completely in 1991] In 1984, Buffalo Trace distillery commercially marketed the first modern (post-1950s) brand of single-barrel bourbon, Blanton's.
Since 2002, the Van Winkle brands have been distilled and bottled by the Sazerac Company at the Buffalo Trace Distillery as a joint venture with the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery company.
In 2013, Julian Preston Van Winkle III, said the 2013 bottlings of the 23-year brand expression "may be the last of its kind", since at that point there was very little left of the aging stock from the Stitzel-Weller distillery (although he said the brand would not be discontinued)] The makers say that they do not want to boost production, as there is considerable long term risk, and they do not want to be left holding copious quantities of unsaleable bourbon should tastes, fashions or circumstances change.
Production is being increased somewhat, with a projected increase of the annual production from the current 6–8 thousand bottles to 15 thousand by 2025, but the production will remain well below mass-market levels
- NV — 750mL (liquor) (currently viewing)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.