"Pinhooks Bourbon Vertical Series is a unique opportunity to follow a group of high-rye MGP bourbon barrels as they age from 4 to 12 years and to experience the evolution of flavor throughout that 9-year journey. The fifth of nine releases, 2023s expression is a 8-year-old straight bourbon whiskey distilled at MGP in Indiana before being aged, blended, and bottled at Castle & Key Distillery in Frankfort, KY, by Pinhook Master Blender, Sean Josephs. ... read more
"Pinhooks Bourbon Vertical Series is a unique opportunity to follow a group of high-rye MGP bourbon barrels as they age from 4 to 12 years and to experience the evolution of flavor throughout that 9-year journey. The fifth of nine releases, 2023s expression is a 8-year-old straight bourbon whiskey distilled at MGP in Indiana before being aged, blended, and bottled at Castle & Key Distillery in Frankfort, KY, by Pinhook Master Blender, Sean Josephs. With a mash bill of 75% corn, 20.5% rye, and 4.5% malted barley, this bold and piquant bourbon exhibits a warm and opulent nose with aromas of freshly baked raisin bread, brown butter, and burnt sugar which transition to a rich palate of ginger snap cookies, dried fig, molasses, and hint of eucalyptus. The highest proof yet of a Vertical Series bourbon, Bourbon War is only getting better with age. Non-chill filtered; 57.5% ABV."
Limited edition straight bourbon whiskey produced by Pinhook Whiskey
Fifth of nine limited annual releases from Pinhooks Bourbon Vertical Series
Distilled at MGP in Indiana; aged, blended, and bottled at Castle & Key Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky, by Pinhook Master Blender Sean Josephs
Mash bill of 75% corn, 20.5% rye, 4.5% malted barley
Aged 8 years
Vatting of 120 barrels
Aromas of freshly baked raisin bread, brown butter, and burnt sugar transition to a rich palate of gingersnap cookies, dried fig, molasses, and eucalyptus
Non-chill filtered; 57.3% ABV
Pinhook was founded in 2010 by barman Sean Josephs and a team of top designers and marketing directors with a passion for American whiskey. Before creating Pinhook, Josephs founded some of the top whiskey bars in the United States, including Char No. 4 and Maysville in New York, and Kentons in New Orleans. Serving as Master Blender since the brands inception, Josephs contributes his palateinformed by his experience as a certified sommelierto his role as Pinhooks Master Blender.
Pinhook is built upon one clear concept: Every year, they release a new batch of bourbon & rye and the whiskey in each release is intended to be the best expression of their barrels at that moment in time. Blends and proofs change batch to batch to best highlight that releases unique attributes and can be thought of, quite appropriately, as a whiskey vintage.
Pinhooking is a term used to describe the practice of buying young, thoroughbred horses, overseeing their initial development, and then re-selling them as race-ready champions-in-training with an aim towards the ultimate prizea winning run at the Kentucky Derby. The Pinhook brand pays tribute to this practice and the parallels between investing in a horses potential and that of a young whiskey; optimism, patience, and vision are paramount when both training a young horse for future victory and aging whiskey until its ready to blossom in-glass.
Pinhook entered the market with expertly blended bottles of whiskey sourced from the prolific and ever-in-demand distilling goliath MGP. MGP-sourced whiskey can still be found in Pinhooks celebrated Vertical Series releases.
Today, the newly restored Castle & Key Distillery in Frankfort, KY, plays home to Pinhooks operations. Built in the late 1800s, Castle & Key was the original residence for Old Colonel Taylor. Pinhook has begun releasing whiskey crafted and distilled by Castle & Keyamongst the first distillates made there since its restorationand featuring Pinhooks carefully selected proprietary mash bills for bourbon and rye.
Pinhooking is an old Kentucky term for purchasing young thoroughbreds, holding them until they mature, and selling them when they are ready to run. Successful pinhooks – much like whiskey -- are made on instinct, experience, an appreciation of quality, and a little luck. We handcraft our bourbon and rye to reflect the richness of the Kentucky soil and the character of its beautiful horse country, where we run our operations out of the newly restored Castle & Key distillery in Millville, KY
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.