From Johann Josef to Sebastian to Manfred--and now, to Katharina--the hereditary line of Prüms at this estate is straight and strong. Why is J.J. Prüm still the most famous name in German wine after a hundred years? Partly because their light and racy wines epitomize the region, partly because they possess several incredible vineyard sites and an extraordinary percentage of ungrafted vines within them, which links them to an historic era of German winegrowing... and honestly, it's partly showbiz. Few humans alive have ever seen the cellar at J.J. Prüm, or Manfred's mysterious brother Wolfgang who toils down there. The mystery is compounded at the epic dinners that Manfred and his daughter Katharina host for visitors, during which Manfred disappears for up to 20 minutes rummaging around for the "perfect" bottle to pour, which is invariably old and invariably served blind. Who can resist such a presentation?
The 33.5 acre estate produces about 13,000 cases annually. The wines are feather-light, never over-extracted, low in alcohol, transparent as glass, and petrolly as hell in those first 15 years or so; after that, they really get going. Prüm is not tiny, they're not a thousand years old, and they're not doctrinaire about vinification; they are simply the quintessential Mosel estate and the benchmark for all German wine. Amen.
Wehlener Sonnenuhr (directly across the river from the house): pure, weathered Devon slate; quite stony. This is often considered Prüm's premier site, and the wines from here are the longest lived.
Graacher Himmelreich: very deep soils (great water maintenance); weathered Devon slate with higher clay content and pockets of blue slate. Wines are usually approachable sooner than Sonnenuhr.
Zeltinger Sonnenuhr: Prüm owns the filet parcel here, adjacent to Wehlener Sonnenuhr. Delicate wines; insiders' choice.
Bernkasteler Badstube: "Our Saar vineyard," the Prüms call it.; weathered Devon slate, with blue slate and traces of loam. Salty, subtle wines.
A bit of history about JJPrum: www.pruemwein.de
The producers website: www.jjpruem.com
Searched for: brand: joh. jos. prum
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.