The Mori family has owned this estate since the 18th century and have been growing grapes and selling wine to the local cooperative since the 1830s. However, it was not until the mid 1990s that Giacomo Mori renovated the vineyards and cellar and began estate bottling. Mori refurbished the family's spectacular cellar and re-equipped the ancient winery and cave. The cellar is dug into live tufo rock and is built on three different levels, in order to ensure that all the wine can be racked and transferred entirely by gravity feed. He chose only low-yielding rootstock and the finest clones of Chianti's indigenous Sangiovese and Canaiolo to resurrect his family's 10-hectare vineyard. He has spaced the vines tight, so as to force their roots to dig deep into the earth and yield maximum complexity. He prunes very short and employs only organic fertilization. No chemical sprays are used in the vineyards or the winery.
Mori now produces two Chiantis of extraordinary quality: The Chianti Normale and the Chianti Castelrotto. The regular Chianti is a blend of 95% Sangiovese and 5% Canaiolo aged in the traditional large oak casks while the "Castelrotto" Riserva is 85% Sangiovese and 15% Merlot aged in French-oak barriques. Vinification takes place in stainless-steel tanks. Both Chiantis are the very essence of Sangiovese, both elegant and concentrated at the same time.
In the Veronelli Guide, Daniel Thomases awarded the 2003 Castelrotto 91 points, writing that "the true flavors of Chianti...the wines of Giacomo Mori have them, above all in the exquisite wine that bears his name."
Vineyard Practices: Giacomo Mori is practicing organic. While copper and sulphur-based products are used, the winery never uses chemical fertilizers, insecticides, or herbicides. Leguminous plants (Vicia Faba) are sown on every other row between the vines. The plants are then mowed and tilled into the ground in order to provide green manure and natural Nitrogen. The soil is tilled between one vine and another on the row. Very low doses of SO2 are used to preserve the wines.
Farming Practice:Practicing Organic
Searched for: brand: giacomo mori
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.