The history of the Mazzei family is closely woven into Tuscany's winemaking history, as well as this venerated region's political and cultural past. The first recorded mention of the Mazzei family – originally from the winemaking area of Carmignano – was noted in documents traced back to the early 11th century.
Today, after nearly six centuries, the Mazzei family (under the guidance of Lapo Mazzei, with the help of his sons, Filippo and Francesco), remains devoted to winemaking, with an eye towards innovation and an abiding respect for the land.
A rich history combined with consistently high quality winemaking over centuries has made the Mazzei family like none other and one of Italy's most renowned and respected wine producers.
The history of the Mazzei family is closely woven into Tuscany's winemaking history, as well as this venerated region's political and cultural past.
ABOUT THE WINERY
The spectacular Fonterutoli hamlet – which includes a cluster of houses, the church of San Miniato and the 16th century family villa – today comprises 470 hectares, of which 79 hectares are devoted to four distinct vineyard sites: Fonterutoli, Siepi, Badiola and Belvedere. The Sangiovese grape finds itself particularly at home in these four areas, which are planted at altitudes varying between 750 and 1,640 feet above sea level, at south and southwest exposure. The rocky limestone and sandstone soil structure, high density planting (7,000 plants per hectare) and low yields of less than 40 hectoliters per hectare result in the production of complex, elegant and powerful Sangiovese wines.
Mazzei is considered by many to be the definitive wine producer in the Chianti Classico region, and indeed one of the most prestigious in all Italy. The family produces highly sought-after, critically acclaimed wines from their estate vineyards, each an exclusive and elegant expression of its terroir, and history including the icon family wine, Siepi IGT Toscana - a single vineyard Sangiovese-Merlot blend and Philip – dedicated to the American Patriot Philip Mazzei, and Castello di Fonterutoli.
Located just 30 miles south of Florence and less than 8 miles north of Siena, Fonterutoli is the perfect choice for a day visit or a longer, relaxing vacation retreat. Just off the hamlet's main square, a handful of charming guest accommodations are available for rental; each is furnished in elegant Tuscan country style, and adorned with pieces from the family's personal collection of paintings and antiques.
Guests can stroll the cobbled streets and soak in the extraordinary landscape of this quaint village set against a backdrop of rolling hills, vineyards and olive groves. Exquisite dining at Osteria di Fonterutoli enables guests to experience the finest in Tuscan cuisine made from fresh local ingredients while overlooking the vineyards. At Enoteca di Fonterutoli, guided tours of the estate and tastings are available by appointment.
Searched for: brand: mazzei
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.