"Over the past quarter century, Ribera del Duero has become arguably the most successful wine region of Spain. Yet, some of its finest wines are yet to be made. The reason is simple: many of the best terroirs and oldest vines are in the remote eastern part of the region--the province of Soría--which is still largely unexplored by today's winemakers. In fact, if it weren't for a young French winemaker, Bertrand Sourdais, Soría might still be unknown. Bertrand first brought Soría to light with his pioneering wines at Atauta, a village within the province. But when Atauta was sold in 2009 during Spain's economic downturn, his gaze shifted to his family's Chinon estate in France's Loire Valley.
Birth of a New Wine
Yet the pull of Soría remained strong and he soon returned to the region to make a new wine which--like all of his work at Atauta--would be full of the soul of ancient-vine Tinto Fino. And so, Antidoto was born. As at Atauta, his goal is to capture the essence of this singular region. And he will do so by sourcing from the best vineyard sites--many of which date from the time before Phylloxera--and by ultimately managing the viticulture himself. Wherever possible, he will employ organic and, where possible, biodynamic methods. As for Antidoto's intriguing name--Spanish for "antidote"--it has a particular meaning for Bertrand in the wake of Atauta's sale. But the wine also serves as an antidote to the many Ribera del Duero wines that substitute heavy-handed winemaking for a sense of place and variety. And at a relatively modest price point, it is surely an antidote to high wine prices in the appellation.
The Rooftop of Ribera
Bertrand poetically describes the Soría zone as "sitting on the rooftop of Ribera," where temperatures are cooler than in the rest of Ribera del Duero. There are numerous soil types, but most of them have two things in common: their poverty and an abundance of sand that has kept Phylloxera away for the past 150 years. As a consequence this is one of the largest concentrations of ungrafted vines in Europe. To Bertrand's mind, the Soría sub-zone offers a transitional wine type that can--in the right hands--blend Rioja's fragrance and finesse with Ribera del Duero's traditional power and depth. He is using long, gentle macerations to minimize tannin extraction and no new barrels are employed for aging. The immediate goal is a wine with balance, perfume, and complete tannins.
Ribera's Great Bargain
With its low price, Antidoto promises to quickly make its mark as the bargain among serious Ribera del Duero offerings. And Bertrand's launching of the wine could not have been better timed, taking advantage of two great vintages in 2009 and 2010. Antidoto is an extraordinary wine--and extraordinary value--in today's marketplace."
Searched for: brand: antidoto
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.