It was produced by Alabama moonshiner and bootlegger Clyde May. It's estimated that he produced about 300 gallons a week in his still in the woods near Almeria, Alabama. His whiskey was known for its high quality relative to typical moonshine.
Much of his production was sold as simple unaged corn liquor. But a certain portion was aged in charred barrels for about a year with a couple of dried apples for flavor. Mr. May bottled this aged whiskey and gave it to friends and valued customers as "Christmas Whiskey". Always operating outside the state liquor laws, Clyde May spent 18 months in jail beginning in 1973.
Clyde May died in 1990 and his son, Kenny worked to figure out how he could produce the "Christmas Whiskey" legally as a tribute to his father.
Using his father's recipe, and Alabama Conecuh Ridge spring water, Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. of Bardstown, Kentucky produced 4,000 bottles in 2002. Under the watchful eye of master distiller Even Kulsveen, Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. produced the mash (crushed grains such as corn, wheat, and rye) using Clyde May's recipe and Conecuh Ridge spring water trucked in from Alabama. The product was distilled, aged in charred white oak barrels, bottled, and returned to Alabama for distribution. Though produced in Kentucky, the water and the recipe were pure Conecuh Ridge.
On February 17, 2004, Representative Alan Boothe introduced House Joint Resolution No. 100 into the Alabama House of Representative. In short time, the Resolution was approved by the House by voice vote and sent on to the Alabama Senate for their consideration.
The Senate received House Joint Resolution No. 100 on February 26 and voted to approve it by two to one (14 Yeah, 6 Nay) on March 9.
On March 11, 2004 House Joint Resolution No. 100 was certified by the Clerk of the House. It was passed on to Governor Bob Riley for his signature on March 18.
Unfortunately, Governor Riley vetoed the Resolution that had been passed overwhelmingly by the Alabama State Legislature charging that Alabama "should not set a precedent of endorsing a commercially sold product." 1
Kenny May was disappointed, but the Alabama Legislature acted quickly and in a rare move overrode Governor Riley's veto by a vote of 54-7 in the House on March 18 and 19-8 in the Senate on April 6.
On April 8, 2004 the Clerk of the House certified the actions of the Alabama Legislature and House Resolution No. 100 was assigned as Act No. 2004-97. Conecuh Ridge Alabama Fine Whiskey was declared, by Resolution, Alabama's Official State Spirit.
Searched for: brand: clyde may's whiskey
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.