"Enrico Scavino and his two daughters, Enrica and Elisa, continue to produce outstanding Barolos year in and year out." – Wine Spectator "The Scavino family (Enrico and his daughters Enrica and Elisa) carry forth an important family legacy with a wide range of cru-specific wines that brilliantly exhibit individual styles." – Wine Advocate The most remarkable thing about Enrico Scavino is that even today, this man ever longs to make better Barolo. Generations at the helm of his family estate, founded in 1921, have already proven him a leader in the qualitative advances that have occurred in the Barolo area. And yet, he has never stopped the experimentation that has always kept him on the avant-garde of the Langhe area. He continues to vinify his wines parcel by parcel, taking advantage of these small fermentations to try to make better wines. In fact, in 2007 Enrico has even designed and fabricated his own fermentation vessel, used exclusively on his Barolo, to improve the finesse of extraction from his nebbiolo. Now with his daughters Elisa and Enrica working with him full-time, it would seem possible for this statesman--contemporary of Domenico Clerico and Elio Altare--to take a step back. Instead, Enrico's passion is further bolstered by the presence of the next generation! And speaking of family, I'd be remiss not to mention that Enrico's first cousin and neighbor is Luigi Scavino of Azelia fame. Alfonso, father of Luigi, and his brother Paolo, father to Enrico, divided ownership of the 11 hectare Scavino farm in the 1950s, giving each an equal share of the famed Fiasco hill. Castiglione Falletto lies in the very heart of the Barolo area -- its soils are of both tortonian and helvetian origins, stratified amongst each other. In other words, crus in Castiglione like Bric del Fiasc (or even Bricco Boschis for that matter) combine the elegance of Barolo and La Morra with the power of Serralunga and Monforte! The first vintage of Bric del Fiasc was 1978--as a Barolo Riserva--hence the release this year of the 30 year anniversary Bric del Fiasc Riserva 2008 (AG:97+). But Enrico never closed his eyes to the beauty of the neighboring communes: in 1985 he signed a long-term lease on a small parcel in Cannubi in Barolo. Next, in 1990, he acquired a piece of the famed Rocche Annunziata cru in La Morra. In 2002, with the help of Domenico Clerico, he purchased a piece of Bricco Ambrogio, the most renown vineyard in the commune of Roddi. And most recently in 2007 he added a piece of Monviglero, considered the grand cru of Verduno. Winemaking at the estate has evolved over time--but the one constant, even from the days of Enrica and Elisa's grandfather, was hygiene: the cleanliness of the winery and health of the grapes remain paramount. Technology has had its influence: Enrico recalls working the vineyards with oxen and horses, and said of the purchase of his first tractor "I couldn't have been happier if my father had gifted me a Ferrari!" In 1993, rotofermentors arrived at the estate, and between 1996-1999, Slavonian casks were replaced with French oak--but barriques here were always and only used for the first 10 months of aging to help fix color before the wines were transferred to larger oak botti. The percentage of new oak has been much reduced from a height of 30% from the 1990s to 2004, to only 20% new from 2004 – 2008, 17% new in 2011 & 2012, and for the 2015 harvest they have even reduced to a further 14% new. Quality control is crucial. Scavino could make more wine--but the estate chooses to sell off from 10-30% of the production in bulk to maintain their super high standards. This small family farm--which essentially started with 5.5 hectares--now manages 29 hectares of vineyards, and regularly finds itself classified amongst the other top estates of the region. The Skurnik Family is most excited to welcome Scavino back to our portfolio--tasting through the wines this fall was even more exciting than we could have imagined. And from that moment, we knew that their proper place was in our portfolio. A word on Scavino Barolo....All of the wines are subject to scrupulous care of the vineyards in order to grow healthy and high quality grapes. Yields are limited. Vinification and aging are the same for all of the non-riserva Barolo to emphasize the terroir of each site. Each cru & sub-cru is vinified separately in stainless steel. Native yeasts, temperature control during fermentation, 8 – 12 days maceration, 20 – 30 days of alcoholic fermentation. Selection of the best performing plots during the first year of aging. The under acheiving ones, depending on the vintage, are sold off in bulk. Aging 10 months in neutral French oak barrels, then 12 months in large casks, 10 months in stainless steel, 10 months in bottle before sale.
Searched for: brand: paolo scavino
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.