"The story of the 'next generation' taking over the reins and infusing newfound energy and dedication to a family-owned winery is an exciting one. We've seen it at places like Boisson-Vadot and Ballot-Millot where the wines were certainly solid in the past, but are now at a whole new level under the next generation! Such is the case at Domaine Duroché, where Pierre, the son, who started in the 2005 alongside his father, is now fully at the helm and bringing a new energy to this under-the-radar producer in Gevrey-Chambertin.
While Gevrey has more that it's fair share of Rock Stars, it is nice to see a young winemaker not trying to make his mark by emulating some of the big/flashy/oaky proponents in the village. Humbly stated, Pierre's intentions are to continue the family tradition and make wines of elegance and finesse, and this he achieves beautifully.
The Duroché holdings encompass 8.25 ha, all in the village/appellation of Gevrey-Chambertin. The range starts with both Bourgogne Rouge and Blanc. Then, there is a lovely Gevrey-villages as well as a smattering of mostly micro cuvées of top lieu-dits from around the village, the largest of which comes from a parcel called "Champ" in the northern part of the appellation. Moving up the ladder, the Durachés have 1.2 ha of 1er Cru Lavaut St Jacques, which is stunning, as well as tiny plots of Estournelles St. Jacques and Champeaux. The crown jewels are of course the four Grand Crus, including Charmes, Griottes, Latricieres and Clos de Beze!
The vineyards are worked in lutte raisonée, and are of course hand-harvested and sorted both in the vineyard and in the cellar prior to the maceration and fermentation. Grapes are 100% de-stemmed, and macerated with a gentle pigeage initially, followed by remontage, all with the goal of promoting finesse and elegance to the wines. New oak is judicious: 50-75% on the Grand Crus, one-third on the 1er Crus, and 15-20% on the villages wines. The wines see a 15-16 month élévage on their fine lees, most often without racking, and are then bottled without fining, filtration or enzyme additions.
The style here is about understated power and elegance with fine-grained tannins and an earthy, briny, minerally core that is a hallmark of the Gevrey terroir. The wines are forward enough to drink fairly well on release, but also have the requisite structure to age as well. We hope you will enjoy this up and coming property as much as we do. Pierre Duroché is clearly a young star on the rise!"
Searched for: brand: domaine duroche
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.