The first time the hills of Côte Rôtie present themselves, it is impossible not be overwhelmed with their beauty. The cliff-like granite hillsides seems to have burst from the Earth with vigor and violence. It is also impossible to not be completely dumbfounded by them at the same time. When seeing those impossibly steep slopes, one has to wonder, "who the hell decided to plant vines there?" Well it's the Romans we can thank, for there may be no greater red wines made in the world today than the ones from Côte Rôtie.
Only the truly dedicated would decide to make their living this way. No tractor on Earth can plow these vineyards – everything has to be painstakingly done by calloused hands. The will of these hard working people are mirrored in the terroir they plow, iron and rock. Domaine Clusel-Roch is one such family winery who calls this treacherously beautiful place home.
Based in Verenay, the northern most village in Côte Rôtie, this tiny 3.5 ha domaine is run by Gilbert Clusel, his wife Brigit, and their son Guillaume. It was in 1935 that the grandfather of Gilbert first planted a low yielding clone of Syrah called Serine at the one of the highest altitude sites on the hill. This vineyard became known as 'Les Grandes-Places', and it would become the foundation for this family winery. In fact, all subsequent plantings made by the domaine were done with cuttings from this very vineyard. The Clusel family first gained considerable fame for their early belief in the advantages of biodynamic farming, and would become pioneers of the movement within the region as they converted fully in 1990. This meticulous care for their vines, along with their hands off approach in the cellar is clearly evident in their lineup of terroir expressive, minerally intense Côte Rôtie and Condrieu. These are not to be missed!
Farming Practice:Certified Biodynamic
Searched for: brand: guillaume clusel roch
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.