Château DURFORT-VIVENS owes its name to the Durfort de Duras, a powerful family in the South-West of France that came to Margaux in the fourteenth century. In 1824, the Viscount of Vivens' name was added to that of Durfort. The estate was at the height of its fame: the 1844 vintage sold for more than any of the other Second Crus in the Margaux appellation.
The quality of the Durfort wine began to be appreciated at the end of the eighteenth century. Thomas Jefferson, the American ambassador in France and future president, was a wine connoisseur and ranked it directly after Lafite, Latour and Margaux in his fascinating travel diaries. The 1855 classification confirmed his opinion, ranking the wine as a Second Cru Classé.
In 1937 the estate was bought by the company owning Château Margaux, whose main shareholder at that time was the Lurton family. In 1961 Lucien Lurton, a great lover and protector of wine-producing terroirs, acquired and restored this exceptional vineyard.
In 1992, his son Gonzague inherited the property. He modernized its operation with a view to developing the terroir's unique qualities.
The Terroir: Certified Biodynamic in Bordeaux along with Chateau Pontet-Canet
Located in the communes of Margaux, Cantenac and Soussans, the Durfort-Vivens vines are planted on hilltops made up of deep, particularly poor gravel.
The gravel was deposited by successive river-beds of the Garonne in the Quaternary period. This magnificent terroir enables an early optimal ripening of the Cabernet-Sauvignon grapes, thereby allowing a full expression of the finesse and silkiness of the tannins, resulting in the freshness and elegance characteristic of a great Margaux.
Searched for: brand: chateau vivens
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.