In Swedish history, aquavit – in Latin, aqua vitae, means the water of life – is first referenced in an early 16th century letter. O.P. Anderson's Aquavit is the oldest aquavit of Sweden. Carl August Anderson launched it in 1891 in honor of his father, O.P. Anderson, who was a ship owner, proprietor of a liquor factory, and a member of the Göteborg City Council.
For centuries, aquavit has been the quintessential spirit of celebration and song in Scandinavian culture. In Sweden, before drinking a small shot of aquavit (a snaps), tradition calls for a vigorous song that glorifies the delicacy of the drink (a snapsvisa). Drinking songs are short and easy to learn, aiming for everyone around the table to join in.
Across Sweden, Norway and Finland as well as parts of Northern Europe, aquavit is the traditional spirit for festive gatherings, dinners, weddings and informal get-togethers.
Like vodka, aquavit is a distilled liquor, but aquavit's distinctive aromas and seasonings come from a blend of herbal essences of fennel, caraway, and anise, which are the classic aquavit spices. O.P. Anderson Aquavit is made with Swedish (CK) wheat; in addition, the classic spices are stored in oak barrels for six months, which add tannins and oak flavorings. At 40% alcohol, O.P. Anderson Aquavit is a versatile ingredient in new and classic cocktails.
O.P. Anderson Aquavit is the best-selling brand in Sweden and, today, the world over, this iconic spirit is traditionally served as an aperitif, while mixologists and consumers are increasingly enjoying its herbal flavorings in all types of innovative drinks. O.P. Anderson Aquavit's label was inspirited by the mechanical industry of the late 1800's when the brand was first made by Olaf for Carl August, his father.
Eminently versatile, O.P. Anderson Aquavit may be enjoyed neat and chilled, paired with smoked fish and other Nordic cuisine, as a savory alternative in classic cocktails such the Bloody Mary and Last World, or as a base for new drink creations.
As Sweden's pioneering aquavit firm, O.P. Anderson Aquavit established the standard for many of today's aquavits on the market. And thanks to the firm's exceptional quality standards, O.P. Anderson Aquavit has won numerous awards as well as several gold medals in the prestigious International Wine and Spirits Competition.
Searched for: brand: o.p. anderson
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.