Jean Lallement (Lall-Mont) is an estate of only four hectares split between Verzenay and Verzy in the Montagne de Reims. A tiny producer, one of the smallest in this portfolio, but what wines! Original, complex, distinctive and yummy, all from a young vigneron who's restlessly improving every year. The vineyards are spread between Verzenay and Verzy both grand cru villages, with small holdings in the premier cru of Ludes. Alex Lallement explained the terrior of Verzenay as more masculine and higher in elevation, while Verzey is more feminine and perfumed.
The majority of Lallement's holdings are in Verzenay whose characteristic flavor Lallement's virile style exemplifies. If it were Burgundy it'd be Nuits-St.-Georges; animal and sauvage. Lallement's vineyards are about eighty percent pinot noir and twenty percent chardonnay, as you'd expect in these parts. There are twenty different parcels, about half of which are older than 40 years.
Lallement allows all of his wines to undergo malolactic fermentation and now produces 4 wines. His Brut is a blend of two years from younger vines in his holdings in Verzenay and Verzey, about 80 percent and 20 percent respectively. The Brut Reserve is the same blend of vintages and villages, but from parcels that are 30 years and older. Lallement started making a Réserve Rosé in 2003. It's a non-saignée, 100 percent Pinot Noir Rosé, a proportion of which is still red wine vinified in 205 liter barrel. 1800 bottles of the Rosé are produced. For the first time, Lallement will release a Vintage Champagne (2006) which will be available in minute quantities. Only 750 bottles of the 2006 were produced and it sold out immediately. We eagerly await the release of the 2008 Vintage sometime in 2014.
Region: Montagne de Reims
Premier cru sites in Ludes
Grand cru sites in Verzenay and Verzy
Total vineyard holdings: 4 hectares
Annual production: 1,700 cases
Vines: 80% pinot noir, 20% chardonnay
Jean Lallement et Fils (VERZENAY)
"Puisieulx, Sillery, and Beaumont-sur-Vesle obtained their grand cru status thanks to their proximity to Verzenay. The 420 hectares (1038 acres) in the village provide the blackest grapes in all Champagne. How the northern slopes in one of the most northerly wine-growing villages in the world produces such rich, peppery, and virile Pinot wines is one of the great mysteries of viniculture. The majority of the northern sites in the village actually lie more to the northeast, and thus enjoy the sun's rays for a substantial part of the day. Just as in Mailly, the vineyards are caressed locally by a warm air current. . . . Even the Chardonnay grapes cultivated in the village have enjoyed grand cru status since 1972. . . . As a Pinot village, Verzenay is definitely the genuine star of the Montagne de Reims. . . . Verzenay Champagnes betray a very strong and individual fragrance. Pepper and iron notes mix with the aroma of the grape. It is persistently long and hard for many years before it settles down to utter perfection
[Lallements] love straightforward, unaffected, dry, rich wines. They have ample opportunities to make these wines from their 4.5 hectares in Verzy, Verzenay and Ludes. Eighty percent of the land is covered with Pinot Noir, and 20 percent is sown with Chardonnay. The average age of the vines is twenty six years old. The wines, which are very clean and dry, have at most only three grams of sugar added." -Richard Juhlin, 4000 Champagnes
Searched for: brand: jean lallement estate
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.