The proliferation of Phylloxera in the late 1800's gradually killed the vines and the death of General BATAILLE on the Vosges front in 1914 led to the abandonment of the 300 Ha of Chambert vineyards.
From 1914 to 1973, the vineyard area became fallow land for sheep grazing and, paradoxically, this unfortunate abandonment was a blessing in disguise since the land escaped the intensive chemical agriculture phase of the inter-war and post-war periods. The Chambert site was untouched by chemical treatments, the land was saved, untreated, and ready to start over at the first opportunity.
In 1973, Marc DELGOULET, a wine maker from the Correze is captivated by the charm and historical grandeur of Château de Chambert and purchases the château and the surrounding hillside. His goal is to return Château de Chambert to it's former glory and produce the wines that were once again appreciated around the world . In 1974, he selects the best parcels of land with the best exposition, slope and soil type and replants the hillside around the château with Malbec. The vineyards are managed organically: worked by hand, treated with minimal sulfur and fertilized only with a natural compost. Marc's first vintage in 1978 produces a wine that goes on the win gold at the national competitions of Mâcon, Blaye and Bourg and he is well on his way to reviving the legend of Château de Chambert. Respectful of the vines and a lover of the land, in 1989 Marc contacts Jacques Mell of "Terres en Devenir", a consulting business for biodynamic farming. It is too expensive for Marc to venture into biodynamics so he continues along an organic path; however, little did Marc know that 25 years later biodynamics would become the destiny of Chambert. With the help of his son Joel, the two continue to improve the reputation of the estate and the wines of Chambert are still appreciated for their elegance, finesse and reflection of exceptional terroir.
Today the vineyard property, owned by Philippe Lejeune, covers about 65ha. It is the largest certified organic estate in Cahors (ECOCERT certification) and largest South-West biodynamic estate (DEMETER and Biodyvin certifications)
More info and FAQ below
Since 2019, a new modern building suspended over the vineyard includes a VIP reception / tasting room, a biodynamic research lab and a professional kitchen.
Searched for: brand: chateau de chambert
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.