The roots of Freixenet run deep, entwined in the Penedès region of northeast Spain and in the history of two of its most prominent wine families.
16th Century – The Ferrer family establishes La Freixeneda, a winegrowing estate in the Penedès.
Mid 19th Century – Francesc Sala marries Josepa Tubella and they settle in her hometown of Sant Sadurní d'Anoia, also in the Penedès. He converts his father in law's barrel-making business into a wine distributor, eventually exporting wines all over the world under the name Casa Sala.
Early 20th Century – The youngest son of the Ferrer family, Pedro, marries the only daughter of the Sala family, Dolores, forever uniting two respected wine lineages. Seeing a unique opportunity in sparkling wines, which were not common in Spain at that time, Pedro and Dolores release their first cava in 1914 under the Freixenet label.
Early 1930s – Pedro travels to the United States in search of land to build a winery. He establishes an office in New Jersey but, on returning to Spain, he loses his life in the Spanish Civil War, leaving his wife and children to run the winery.
1940s – Dolores continues to build the business in the tough post-war era, launching Carta Nevada in 1941. The unique frosted golden bottle goes on to become one of Freixenet's most popular cavas.
1950s – Dolores' youngest son, José Ferrer, takes the reins of the family business with the goal of realizing his parents' dreams of introducing Freixenet to the world.
1970s – Following the Casa Sala tradition, the family ships the first bottles of Freixenet to the United States. José Ferrer, with a keen intuition, introduces Freixenet Cordon Negro in 1974, a new cava bottled in a radically distinctive dark frosted bottle, which would become known as the "Black Bottle Bubbly".
1980s – Through the constant efforts of José Ferrer and his sons and nephews, Freixenet becomes the world leader in sparkling wine produced in the traditional method.
Today – A century since Freixenet released its first cava in 1914 the company remains 100% family owned, with the fourth generation now entering the business, ready to celebrate 100 years and many more to come.
Searched for: brand: freixenet
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.