Originally, cocktail bitters were the ingredient that distinguished cocktails from other categories of beverages such as Toddies, Slings, Fizzes, Sours or Punches. For decades, they were an essential component of good cocktail creations. The start of prohibition curtailed consumers' drinking habits and cocktail bitters almost sank into oblivion. Only a few brands survived that period, but even after that, not all of them managed to reestablish themselves in the new market. Angostura Bitters alone held their ground.
For some time now, there has been a resurgence in the popularity of cocktail bitters on an international level, which are considered to be the spice rack for your bar. Since 2006, the German company The Bitter Truth has been doing its share to contribute to this development. It all started during a stay in London during the Bar Show BAR '06 in June 2006. At that show, Munich bartenders Stephan Berg and Alexander Hauck gave birth to the idea of producing and distributing cocktail bitters, as they were hard to find in Germany and of inferior quality. Both of them had already gained a considerable amount of experience in producing handmade cocktail bitters for the bars they were working at. In addition, Stephan owned a large collection of current and historical bitters, some of which hadn't been produced for decades. Thus, he knew how the most well-known bitters of the world tasted and was considered a specialist in this area.
Their criteria for the choice of flavors was mainly provided by old cocktail recipes that could no longer be mixed true to the original because one crucial ingredient had been missing – the correct bitters.
In August 2006, the first products from The Bitter Truth were released: an Orange Bitters and an Old Time Aromatic Bitters. Shortly after that, a Lemon Bitters was released. Since then additional flavors have been added to the range: Jerry Thomas Bitters, Creole Bitters, Celery Bitters, Grapefruit Bitters, Chocolate Bitters, Tonic Bitters, Peach Bitters and Cucumber Bitters. The much loved The Bitter Truth Bitters Travel Pack holds 5 different flavors in a convenient size of 100ml/3 oz suitable for hand luggage. Orange Flower Water & Rose Water, two distilled waters round out the offerings of The Bitter Truth. In addition, The Bitter Truth has released a range of fine liqueurs & flavoured spirits such as Apricot Liqueur, Violet Liqueur, Elderflower Liqueur, Golden Falernum, Pimento Dram & Pink Gin. E**X**R, a bitter liqueur in the grand tradition of the Alps was added to the range to make the bridge between the bitters and the liqueur range.
At Tales of the Cocktail New Orleans 2010 The Bitter Truths Celery Bitters took away the top price for "Best New Product". Since then the number of awards for The Bitter Truth products keeps on growing and you can see an uptodate list of all awards here.
Searched for: brand: the bitter truth
- 1 bottle
- $17.99 / ea
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.