Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage 2014
sample imgsample image only

This is a red wine imageAlain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage 2014

The Wine:
100% Syrah

The grapes go into lined concrete vats for a 2- to 5-day pre-fermentation maceration followed by a 15- to 21-day fermentation. Pumpovers are employed in order to carefully integrate oxygen into the wine. This results in an ageworthy wine with deeply expressive aromas that make it highly attractive when young.

About:Northern Rhône native, Alain Graillot, is recognized by his passion for Syrah. Prior to starting his own domaine, Alain worked in Burgundy, where ... read more
Item ID: #21042
Size: 750mL (wine)
Closure: Cork

Other vintages

Other Similar Items

Info

Item Description

The Wine:
100% Syrah

The grapes go into lined concrete vats for a 2- to 5-day pre-fermentation maceration followed by a 15- to 21-day fermentation. Pumpovers are employed in order to carefully integrate oxygen into the wine. This results in an ageworthy wine with deeply expressive aromas that make it highly attractive when young.

About:Northern Rhône native, Alain Graillot, is recognized by his passion for Syrah. Prior to starting his own domaine, Alain worked in Burgundy, where he received guidance from the reputable Jacques Seysses of Domaine Dujac. In 1985, Alain founded Domaine Alain Graillot just outside the village of Pont de l’Isère, about 6km south of Tain-l’Hermitage. He is now considered one of the most highly sought-after producers in the Northern Rhône due to his exuberant, robust and impeccably made Syrah-based wines. The family owns 21 ha (52 acres) of 30-year-old Crozes-Hermitage vines planted on the well-drained, flat alluvial plains between the Rhône and Isère Rivers. The estate also owns two small parcels on the hard, granite slopes of St. Joseph from 12-year-old vines that produce a slightly fresher, easy-drinking wine. Total plantings are made up of Syrah for reds (17.3 ha) and Marsanne and Roussanne for whites (2.6 ha). The vines are farmed organically with traditional chemical-free vineyard management techniques, and all fruit is hand-harvested and respected based on its expressive terroir.

Beginning with the 2008 vintage, Alain’s son, Maxime Graillot (also owner of Domaine Equis) took on the role of running his well-respected father’s Domaine in addition to his own. The red wines that Maxime produces under his father’s label maintain a traditional appeal of using stems and whole-cluster to add structure and longevity. Part of the wine (80%) ages in 1- to 3-year-old barrels from top Burgundy producers, while the remaining (20%) ages in concrete vats. Wine styles are similarly exuberant and expressive, yet with greater intensity and fruit power. (~9000 cases total 12x750ml)

“Alain has a passion for the Syrah grape from which he makes hand crafted wines of great distinction and enormous elegance.”
- The Wine Spectator

Alain Graillot

View all from Alain Graillot

Questions

No questions posted yet about this item.

Reviews

Be the first to reivew this item!
Scroll to the top of this page