"From winemakers Juan and Diego Magana, the 2007 Dignus is an amazing wine for the price. A blend of 50% Tempranillo, 25% Merlot (from cuttings also supplied to Bordeaux’s Petrus vineyard) and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, it smells like a top-class Pomerol from that tiny appellation’s plateau. Abundant scents of mocha, black cherries and blacker fruits jump from the glass of this flamboyant, medium to full-bodied, luscious wine. With lively acidity, rich, concentrated fruit, ... read more
"From winemakers Juan and Diego Magana, the 2007 Dignus is an amazing wine for the price. A blend of 50% Tempranillo, 25% Merlot (from cuttings also supplied to Bordeaux’s Petrus vineyard) and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, it smells like a top-class Pomerol from that tiny appellation’s plateau. Abundant scents of mocha, black cherries and blacker fruits jump from the glass of this flamboyant, medium to full-bodied, luscious wine. With lively acidity, rich, concentrated fruit, and a luxurious texture as well as length, this would be a heck-of-a wine for $50. At $21, it’s a steal! Drink it over the next 2-4 years."
The story starts in the late 1960s, when Juan found himself working in Madrid but yearning to return to the Tudela de Navarra countryside of his winegrowing, bread baking and cheesemaking forebears. It could have ended with his turning out enough Garnacha Rosado for a comfortable rural existence, but you've probably already guessed that it's about to take a far more interesting and idiosyncratically personal turn.
On a visit to Bordeaux, his favorite wine country (just a quick hop across the Pyrenees from Navarra, remember), a lazy meander through the Médoc brought him nearly by chance into what would become a close friendship with one of the most sought-after vine nurserymen in Bordeaux, a supplier to some the most illustrious châteaux on both banks. It was this encounter that led him to begin experimenting with Merlot and Cabernet back home in Navarra, and to this day some 80% of his sixty-hectare surface is planted to one of those two varieties, which form the gutsy and firm but deeply satisfying backbone to the majority of his wines.
Another fascinating element to Juan's approach is his penchant for holding significant quantities of mature wines in both tank and bottle after barrel aging, only bottling and releasing certain Reserva and Gran Reserva cuvées when he deems them perfectly on point. (An approach, it should be pointed out, which plays very nicely with his varieties of choice, and results in spectacular ready-to-drink wines of unexpected freshness and verve.)
Through collaboration with his son Diego (now a hotshot up-and-comer in Bierzo and the Rioja Alavesa), Juan has stayed true to his unique vision while generally freshening up his style over the years and also embracing Navarra's local specialty, Garnacha, to an extent that has surprised even him. Every year sees a few more parcels of old rootstocks grafted over to Garnacha, and we're proud to introduce his varietal 'Los Cascajos' bottling to the United States!
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.