"The 2016 Barolo Monvigliero is utterly spellbinding in its profoundness. In this vintage, the Monvigliero moves into shades of more blue-toned fruit. Whole clusters, always 100, are remarkably integrated. Rose petal, lavender, mint, crushed flowers, wild red berries, blueberry, blood orange and mint are some of the many notes that grace this exceptional, silky Barolo. The 2016 was fermented with low temperatures and spent two months on the skins. With its laser-like focus ... read more
"The 2016 Barolo Monvigliero is utterly spellbinding in its profoundness. In this vintage, the Monvigliero moves into shades of more blue-toned fruit. Whole clusters, always 100, are remarkably integrated. Rose petal, lavender, mint, crushed flowers, wild red berries, blueberry, blood orange and mint are some of the many notes that grace this exceptional, silky Barolo. The 2016 was fermented with low temperatures and spent two months on the skins. With its laser-like focus and incredible cut, tension and nuance, the Monvigliero will be slow to reveal itself, but wow - what a wine."~A.G.
Wine Advocate 99
"Made with whole-cluster fermentation, the Comm. G.B. Burlotto 2016 Barolo Monvigliero opens to distinctive intensity with floral notes backed by forest berry and bramble. Including the grape stems in fermentation imparts a slightly herbaceous character with eucalyptus and balsam herb. I also pick up on some freshly milled white pepper that reminds me of the Nebbiolo-adjacent Pelaverga grape that is also commonly planted in Verduno. The wine opens slowly to reveal grilled herbs, toasted chia seed and pistachio nut. More than obvious fruit, the core of the wine offers wild rose, lavender and pressed flowers. Production is approximately 8,000 bottles."~M.L.
The estate is comprised of 30 acres, 24 of which are situated in the commune of Verduno, the site of the famous Monvigliero cru, which is noted for its wholly southfacing position and soil of white marl. Burlotto's Monvigliero bottling is the estate's signature wine; in fact, Burlotto sourced his Nebbiolo almost exclusively from this cru. Of the remaining six acres, 3 1⁄2 are located in Barolo's famed Cannubi Vineyard (with the other 2 1⁄2 belonging to the Roddi commune). The Cannubi Vineyard enjoyed prestige prior to the production of Barolo and its positioning, in the manner of a Burgundy grand cru, has never been diminished. In fact, it is widely regarded as Barolo's premier vineyard, yielding fruit that realizes outstanding qualitative consistency. Of particular interest is the fact that the Langhe's oldest bottling is labeled 'Cannubi 1752.' The estate's other Barolos, Annata, Acclivi, and Neirane, represent multisource bottling.
The estate remains family-owned and is currently under the direction of Burlotto's great-niece, Mariana Burlotto, and her husband, Giuseppe Alessandria. While their son, Fabio, has introduced modern techniques, they have served to enhance the qualitative achievement of this estate's traditionally oriented wines. In addition to the aforementioned Barolos, the winery produces Dolcetto, Barbera, and several wines under the Langhe DOC appellation.
- 2016 — 750mL (wine)(currently viewing)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.