"The 2021 Rosato is a deep translucent red. It shows a seductively complex bouquet of incense, clove, dusty rose and black cherries. This is vividly fresh and energetic, with wild berry fruits contrasting silken textures as citrus nuances and nervous acidity maintain a lovely tension. The 2021 leaves a salty flourish behind while tapering off with red licorice and brown spice notes that slowly fade. This varietal Nerello Mascalese is packed full of ... read more
"The 2021 Rosato is a deep translucent red. It shows a seductively complex bouquet of incense, clove, dusty rose and black cherries. This is vividly fresh and energetic, with wild berry fruits contrasting silken textures as citrus nuances and nervous acidity maintain a lovely tension. The 2021 leaves a salty flourish behind while tapering off with red licorice and brown spice notes that slowly fade. This varietal Nerello Mascalese is packed full of zesty character."~Eric Guido
(Organic) "This 100 percent Nerello Mascalese Rosato is fashioned primarily from Calabretta's ungrafted vines planted on the sandy, rocky slopes of Mount Etna. A deeply colored Rosato that's the opposite of the spring Rose you drink through the warm months. It has aromas of blood orange, cranberry, olives, and smoke. Fresh and lively on the palate, where spicy cherries, red licorice, cloves and allspice mingle with Etna's peppery soil signature. Fine tannins emerge on the wines back-palate and segue to a long, appetizing finish of cherries, red currants, spice, and volcanic earth. A year-round Rosato that is as complex as it is delicious, just as you'd expect from Calabretta!"~Distributor Notes
When Doug first met Massimiliano Calabretta, a part-time college professor at the University of Genova, his first words were: "I make my wine like Bartolo Mascarello!". Given that most Sicilian wine is made very much in the modern style, Doug was excited to see what a traditional-style wine from this region and varietal would be like! Sure enough, most of the vines are 70-80 years old, with a good portion ungrafted. They are organically farmed. The Etna Rosso is aged for 6-7 years in large Botti before being bottled.
There is an old Nebbiolo-like profile to the wines. The aromas are steeped in dried cherries, tar, licorice, and hints of ashy/volcanic soil tones. Given the high elevation and big diurnal temperature shifts (they have ski slopes on Etna as well!), the wines retain a freshness and delineation that recalls a mature Barolo, northern Rhone or even a sturdier, earthier red Burg. Also, with the provenance and age of the wines, they represent a terrific relative value.
Calabretta also makes about 2,000 bottles a year of a rare white wine made from (mostly) old vine Carricante, interplanted with Minella Bianca (for acidity). It is aged in a combo of tank and neutral wood. This intriguing white is somewhat reminiscent of Pepe's Trebbiano d'Abruzzo, with melony fruit and hints of straw, hay and almonds. According to Massimiliano, Carricante is somewhat tight in its youth and requires a couple of years to express itself, so he holds it back before release. There is ample weight and texture, lovely acidity and a real sense of "grip" (almost tannic) on the palate. As such, it is a perfect wine to pair with all kinds of food!
These are truly unique wines, and worth the introduction to your customers who like pure, soulful, expressive wines from a truly unique terroir!"
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.