"Cantalupo is ... read more
"Cantalupo is one of Italy's most underrated wine estates: I urge readers to try their many outstanding Ghemme wines as well as their delicious Vespolina."~Antonio Galloni
In this area the nebbiolo variety is called spanna in the local dialect, and most often is blended with a small percentage of other local grapes to give Ghemme its unique and compelling character. Officially Ghemme must be made up of a minimum of sixty percent nebbiolo, with other traditional local grapes such as bonarda and vespolina making up the balance of the blend. The different Ghemme bottlings from Cantalupo however are made up of one hundred percent nebbiolo, as the Arlunnos choose to bottle their vespolina (which has been grown in Ghemme for five hundred years) on its own in a cuvée called Villa Horta. The style of the wines of Ghemme is not as full or powerful as the nebbiolo-based wines of Alba, as the variety here in these sunny hills produces a more delicate and ethereal style of wine, with more red fruit and spice elements, though never short on complexity or intensity of flavor.
The Arlunnos have had vineyards in this area for a couple of centuries, but did not start the Cantalupo winery until 1969, when the region of Ghemme was given its own DOCG. The family now has thirty-four hectares of vineyards, most of them in the Ghemme appellation just to the east of Gattinara. The soils here are extraordinarily complex due to the retreat of the glacier through this area (the Monte Rosa glacier) at the end of the last ice age, and when coupled with Nebbiolo, these vineyards produce wines of striking soil composition and racy structure. There are four distinct bottlings of Ghemme from Cantalupo, a normale, and three cru bottlings: Ghemme "Collis Breclemae", Ghemme "Collis Carellae" and Ghemme "Signore di Bayard" that are made from old vines in the best sections of the vineyards. The Cantalupo red wine lineup is rounded out with a botti-aged bottling of Ghemme called Agamium. The winery also produces a lovely dry rosé, Il Mimo. The Cantalupo winery of the Arlunno family is clearly one of, if not the, benchmark producer in Ghemme."
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.