Bright ruby/purple. Intensely aromatic nose of black cherry, crme de cassis and black raspberry liqueur framed by mocha notes and typical Larkmead stony minerality. The palate is explosively fruit driven featuring a deep core of pure succulent black fruit of great intensity but also elegance. Flavors of sweet dark chocolate and coffee precede a lengthy finish that highlights vineyard-driven graphite and mineral power.-Winemaker Notes
The first evidence of Chteau de Beaucastel as it exists today is in the sixteenth century. In 1909, Pierre Traminer bought the estate and then transferred it to his son-in-law Pierre Perrin, a scientist who further developed Beaucastel. His son, Jacques, continued his fathers efforts until 1978 and today, the torch is carried by Jacques sons, Jean-Pierre and Franois. They are joined by the fifth generation of PerrinsMarc, Pierre, Thomas, Ccile, Charles, Matthieu, and Csar.
The vineyards of Chteau de Beaucastel are located on historic land where each of the 13 approved grapes varietals of the Chteauneuf-du-Pape appellation are planted. The art of blending these 13 grapes has been passed down from one generation to the next. Beaucastel is, first of all, a family story, the story of Famille Perrin. Their main strength is being able to blend the talents of each family member to run the wine estate under common values: absolute respect for land and terroir; biodynamic culture as a philosophy of life; and the research of truth, balance, and elegance.-Winery Notes
Chateau de BeaucastelView all from Chateau de Beaucastel
Among the prominent people in the town of Courthezon during the sixteenth century was the Beaucastel family. In 1549, "Noble Pierre de Beaucastel" bought "a barn with its land holdings, containing 25 saumées at Coudoulet". More than four centuries later, this remarkable domaine, known today at Château de Beaucastel, is producing what most people acknowledge to be the finest wines of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. In 1903, a young chemical engineer and mathematics professor named Pierre Perrin, together with his father-in-law, began to restore the domaine following the ravages of phylloxera. His son, Jacques Perrin, took over the domaine in 1953 and introduced many innovations such as improved grape varietals, integrated pest control, and a flash-heat exchanger. Today, the third and fourth generations of Perrins, François and Jean-Pierre and Jean-Pierre's sons Pierre, Marc and Thomas, continue in the tradition of their father and grandfather.