Also bottled the week before this tasting, the 2016 Soul of a Lion includes more Cabernet Sauvignon than the 2014 and 2015 and is 84 Cabernet Sauvignon, 12 Cabernet Franc and the rest Petit Verdot. Its an incredible achievement and has sensational notes of crme de cassis, graphite, violets, and lead pencil shavings. Made in a pure California, pedal-to-the-metal style, with full body and loads of fruit, it stays balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, ... read more
While this item is not available, here are a few that are!
- view all
Also bottled the week before this tasting, the 2016 Soul of a Lion includes more Cabernet Sauvignon than the 2014 and 2015 and is 84 Cabernet Sauvignon, 12 Cabernet Franc and the rest Petit Verdot. Its an incredible achievement and has sensational notes of crme de cassis, graphite, violets, and lead pencil shavings. Made in a pure California, pedal-to-the-metal style, with full body and loads of fruit, it stays balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, and a layered, seamless style that just glides over the palate. Dont think Paso Robles can make world-class Cabernet Sauvignon? Try this wine.-JD
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate 96
Slated for bottling in August, the 2016 Soul Of A Lion is another immensely promising example of this Cabernet Sauvignon-dominated cuve. Tasted from barrel, the wine reveals a deep and complex bouquet of smoky cassis, incense, ripe plums and rich soil. On the palate, it's full-bodied, layered and complete, with imposing power and savory structure framing a deep core of fruit. There's more depth and dimension here than in the 2015 rendition, and I suspect it will be even better.-RP
James Suckling 94
Super dark with a ton of bitter chocolate and cocoa powder, plus smoke and a hint of gunpowder. This has a great balance of full, powdery tannins and earthy power. Long, really complex finish. You could drink this now, but if you wait until at least 2021, it will give even more pleasure.-JS
In the glass, this wine appears inky-black with a velvety core. On the nose, however, you are treated to the lightness of fresh violets, crushed blueberries, and cocoa. Complexity is confirmed on the palate with a combination of ripe blueberries and blackberries dusted with hints of cedar, tobacco, spice, and ash. Bright acidity, firm tannins, and moderate alcohol create a balanced structure with a long and seamless finish hinting of toasted vanilla and hazelnuts. Made from the best vines on DAOU Mountain, this wine beautifully showcases the characteristics of Cabernet Sauvignon as a varietal.-Winemakers Notes
In the golden, oak-studded hills of Paso Robles' fabled west side, not far from William Randolph Hearst's magnificent castle, there is a man with a Homeric vision. His name is Daniel Daou and he is devoting his life and every imaginable resource to creating, first and foremost, a Cabernet Sauvignon that rivals the very best in the world.
Gracefully perched atop a stunning promontory at 2,200 feet, the DAOU Spanish Colonial style winery is embraced by a tangible serenity. Hawks wheel and bank while the all-day sun caresses close planted rows of lush, emerald green vines. The 100 percent calcareous soil makes no sound as it passes out nourishment and only a gentle breeze flows up through the Templeton Gap from the Pacific. The quiet is bewitching; you want to lay down roots here, just as the four-year-old vines have done. But the sense of peace belies the serious industry at work on this 100 acre estate. No effort is spared to create the luscious varietals and blends that flow from this limited production winery. This kind of synergy happens rarely: superlative climate and terroir, super intensive vineyard culture, and cutting edge viticultural practice. You're more likely to find it in Bordeaux than Central California. Coupled with the infectious passion and gracious, family style hospitality of the Daou brothers, Georges and Daniel, the result is pure magic. The kind of magic that comes in a bottle.-Winery Notes
DAOU is ultimately built upon unbreakable family bonds from brother to brother, generation to generation, Old World to New World. These bonds now extend to those who lend their hands to this land, and who partake in what it produces.
- 2019 — 750mL (wine) (available to order)
- 2018 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavialable)
- 2017 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavialable)
- 2016 — 750mL (wine) (currently viewing)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.