James Suckling 91
There’s a little marsanne in the mix here. This has attractive apricot viognier fruit on the nose with some sweet florals. Fleshy feel on the palate with a riot of stone- fruit, fresh-citrus and green-mango flavors. Such good value and so much flavor on offer. I like the textural qualities, too.
Small batches of grapes were crushed and transferred to stainless steel basket presses. Fermentation was long and moderately cool to retain fresh fruit characters. 4% underwent wild fermentation for extra complexity. 14% of the Viognier was fermented in seasoned French oak to add mouth feel and support the subtle Viognier tannins. Both components received similar treatment, but were not blended until the final stages of the winemaking process.
One of the undisputed kings of Australian Shiraz and Rhone varietals, d’Arenberg has managed to turn individuality into an art form by doing a whole lot of little things differently. The original vineyards were established by Joseph Osborn in 1912 in the McLaren Vale region of South Australia. A century on, the estate has grown to 345 acres, and the mantle now rests with fourth-generation winemaker Chester Osborn. By maintaining a focus on traditional winemaking and nurturing their old-vine material, the Osborn clan has successfully established themselves as one of the country’s leading producers of concentrated, characterful wines. Consistently ranked as one of the Top 100 Wineries in the world by Wine & Spirits Magazine, this reputation is clearly recognized globally.
d'Arenberg WineryView all from d'Arenberg Winery
One of the most significant wineries in McLaren Vale, d'Arenberg was established in 1912 when Joseph Osborn, a teetotaler and director of Thomas Hardy and Sons, sold his stable of prize winning horses to purchase the property that now houses the winery, cellar door and d'Arry's Verandah Restaurant.
Joseph's son Frank joined him on the land and they set about acquiring some more vineyards. Joseph Osborn died in 1921 leaving full control of the business to Frank.
In the early years grapes were sold to other wineries before the winery was built in 1927 shortly after Francis (universally known as d'Arry) Osborn was born.
Initially making fortified wines to export to England, the business prospered until World War II stifled demand. This coincided with Frank's ill health which forced d'Arry to leave school in 1943 at age 16 to help his father run the business and work the land.
d'Arry took full control of the business in 1957 upon Frank's death and in 1959 he launched his own wine label named in honour of his mother, Helena d'Arenberg, who died shortly after giving birth to him. d'Arry decided to put a red stripe on the label, inspired by happy memories of his school days at Prince Alfred College, where he wore the crimson-and-white striped school tie.
d'Arry's son Chester joined the business in 1984 as Chief Winemaker and makes distinctive wines using traditional methods both in the vineyard and the winery.