Classic McLaren Vale Shiraz, rich, ripe red berry fruits and great fruit length. A lifted, aromatic nose with luscious plum and red berry aromas. Theres flavours of mulberry, pomegranate, dried herbs and earth, with a finish that is a little wild and rustic. ~winery notes
d'Arenberg WineryView all from d'Arenberg Winery
One of the most significant wineries in McLaren Vale, d'Arenberg was established in 1912 when Joseph Osborn, a teetotaler and director of Thomas Hardy and Sons, sold his stable of prize winning horses to purchase the property that now houses the winery, cellar door and d'Arry's Verandah Restaurant.
Joseph's son Frank joined him on the land and they set about acquiring some more vineyards. Joseph Osborn died in 1921 leaving full control of the business to Frank.
In the early years grapes were sold to other wineries before the winery was built in 1927 shortly after Francis (universally known as d'Arry) Osborn was born.
Initially making fortified wines to export to England, the business prospered until World War II stifled demand. This coincided with Frank's ill health which forced d'Arry to leave school in 1943 at age 16 to help his father run the business and work the land.
d'Arry took full control of the business in 1957 upon Frank's death and in 1959 he launched his own wine label named in honour of his mother, Helena d'Arenberg, who died shortly after giving birth to him. d'Arry decided to put a red stripe on the label, inspired by happy memories of his school days at Prince Alfred College, where he wore the crimson-and-white striped school tie.
d'Arry's son Chester joined the business in 1984 as Chief Winemaker and makes distinctive wines using traditional methods both in the vineyard and the winery.