Tasted at the Disznko vertical in London, the 2010 Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos is a blend of 65 Furmint, 20 Zta and 15 Hrslevelu (incidentally there was no 6 Puttonyos released this year). Deeper in color, burnished gold. It has a complex and quite powerful bouquet with Manuka honey, candle wax and sesame oil. There is good depth on the palate, tangy marmalade and honey notes, crisp acidity with mandarin and dried quince, ... read more
While this item is not available, here are a few that are!
- view all
Tasted at the Disznko vertical in London, the 2010 Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos is a blend of 65 Furmint, 20 Zta and 15 Hrslevelu (incidentally there was no 6 Puttonyos released this year). Deeper in color, burnished gold. It has a complex and quite powerful bouquet with Manuka honey, candle wax and sesame oil. There is good depth on the palate, tangy marmalade and honey notes, crisp acidity with mandarin and dried quince, vibrant and captivating on the lively and vivacious finish. This is excellent and just brimming with energy.
Golden color, citrus notes with pineapple, apricot and marmalade. Rounded, creamy structure with fresh and crisp acidity. Oustanding lingering finish to savor.
Disznoko spreads over 250 acres at the south-west entrance of the Tokaj region. Tokaj is thought to be the first vineyard region in the world to have adopted a classification system and, incredibly, the entire Disznoko estate was classified as a first growth property in 1772 at the time of the initial classification by royal decree. The estate's vineyards today are still wholly classified as first growth.
Made from 70 Furmint, 20 Zeta and 10 Harslevelu the aszu grapes (shrivelled grapes affected by noble rot and shrivelled on the vine) are collected manually one by one over the course of several vineyard passes in a total of 5 wooden hods of 55 pounds and poured into a vat of 136 liters of must wine, according to the method established in the 17th century
After a maceration of several hours, the "Aszu dough" obtained is filtered. The collected liquid is then racked into barrels where it ferments slowly before being aged 2 years in oak barrels.
The Disznókő estate consists of a single tract of land that spread over 250 acres at the south-west entrance of the Tokaj region. Four of the approved noble grape varieties are planted in this single vineyard – Furmint, Harslevelu, Zeta and Sagamuskotaly.
The estate is essentially a hill of volcanic clay soil with perlite pebbles: at the top of the hill is the boar-shaped rock from which the estate takes its name, and the vineyards are arranged down the southern slope, with the winery at the bottom of the slopes. The vineyard is protected by the cold northern winds by the Zemplén hills right behind it, and draws light and heat from its southerly exposure. Acclaimed as one of the three most favorable sites of Aszu in Tokaj. Morning autumn mists and warm breezes ensure optimal conditions for noble rot. The Botrytis develops, concentrating the natural sugars, flavors and acids in the grapes. The wines gain their fire from the mineral-rich volcanic land, rhyolite-tuff with clay soils.
In 1992, the estate was acquired by AXA Millésimes and many improvements were made: the vineyards were rehabilitated and replanted, old buildings were refurbished, and new state-of-the-art wine making facilities were constructed. The new winery pays homage to the nearby old winery and inside it's apparent how Disznókő has, above any other estate in the region, restored Tokaji's reputation to the days it was considered "the wine of kings and king of wines" (Louis XIV).
- 2013 — 500mL (available to order)
- 2012 — 500mL (currently unavialable)
- 2011 — 500mL (currently unavialable)
- 2010 — 500mL (currently viewing)
- 2008 — 500mL (currently unavialable)
- 2007 — 500mL (currently unavialable)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.