"The 2018 Silex Noir bottling from the Pinon family is a beautiful example of the vintage, with a bit more residual sweetness in 2018 than is often the case for this wine, which is allowed to finish its fermentation wherever it feels balanced, so that it can range from a fairly dry DemiSec style in some vintages to a lighter Moelleux, which is where it landed in 2018. The bouquet is ... read more
"The 2018 Silex Noir bottling from the Pinon family is a beautiful example of the vintage, with a bit more residual sweetness in 2018 than is often the case for this wine, which is allowed to finish its fermentation wherever it feels balanced, so that it can range from a fairly dry DemiSec style in some vintages to a lighter Moelleux, which is where it landed in 2018. The bouquet is bright, complex and very refined, offering up scents of fresh pineapple, quince, a lovely blend of chalky and flinty soil tones, a hint of honeycomb, citrus peel and white lilies. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and zesty, with a lovely core of fruit, excellent soil undertow, ripe acids and a long, balanced and beautifully complex finish. I love the backend lift here. 2021- 2055+." ~ JG
Vinous Media 90
"Pinons demi-sec often might be termed tendre, with a lot of tension. But this falls on the sweeter side, a true demi-sec with 26 grams per liter residual sugar. Aromas of flavors of ripe pear and apricot and less floral the 2017. Lots of solid minerality throughout, though softer than 2017. Aged 6-7 months in a mix of large and small older barrels." ~ JW
100% Chenin Blanc. Silex noir is a rare black flint found almost exclusively in this tiny corner of Vouvray, the Valle de Cousse. it lends its name to this bottling, one of Pinon's two demi-sec bottlings (other is "Trois Argiles"). "Silex Noir" comes mainly from 2 parcels totaling 3.7 hectares on a south-southeast slope. The flinty soils drain well and thus are warmer and help ripen grapes earlier than in other parcel. Overall vine age averages 45 years and the farming has been certified organic since 2007. "Silex Noir" is made identically to Pinon's other demi-sec terroir bottling, "Trois Argiles". The bunches are harvested by hand, rigorously sorted and directly pressed. The juice flows by gravity into underground tanks for a spontaneous native-yeast fermentation that lasts 2-3 months and stops naturally in Pinon's cold cellar. The wine is aged on its fine lees for 4-5 months in a variety of old oak ranging from 500-liter demi-muids to 20-hectoliter foudres. The 2018 finished with 26 grams RS and 4.1 grams acidity.
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.