Robert Parker 89
"A remarkable value, the 2005 Garnacha de Fuego is fashioned from a 60- to 80-year-old hillside vineyard planted at a relatively high altitude above 3,000 feet. It is hard to believe a $7 wine could possess so much flavor. Sweet raspberry and cherry fruit intermixed with loamy soil and spice aromas soar from the glass of this medium-bodied, richly fruity red that has never seen a hint of wood. Consume it ... read more
Robert Parker 89
"A remarkable value, the 2005 Garnacha de Fuego is fashioned from a 60- to 80-year-old hillside vineyard planted at a relatively high altitude above 3,000 feet. It is hard to believe a $7 wine could possess so much flavor. Sweet raspberry and cherry fruit intermixed with loamy soil and spice aromas soar from the glass of this medium-bodied, richly fruity red that has never seen a hint of wood. Consume it over the next 2-3 years."
D.O. Calatayud has a very unique, extreme terroir. The combination of radical altitudes, diverse slate soils, and drastic climate combine to create a completely unique mesoclimate. As Spain's highest region for the production of Garnacha, Calatayud frequently sees temperature swings of 45˚F between day and night. In our mountainside vineyards (2600-3500ft.), our vines are oftentimes exposed to 40-100˚F diurnal temperature swings in the summer. The heat allows the grapes to achieve full phenolic ripeness, and the cool nights build high acidity in the grapes. Due to its long vegetative cycle, Garnacha requires a relatively dry, hot climate to reach proper phenolic ripeness. The cold nights, dawn, and dusk, combined with a variety of slate dominant soils, allow the grapes to reach high levels of acidity. Our head trained vineyards were planted between 1900 and 1975, and as with all of the Grupo Jorge Ordóñez vineyards, they are dry farmed. These conditions produce exceptionally balanced wines with ageing potential due to their concentration and acidity.
Garnacha, most famous internationally for its French name Grenache, is a grape cultivar that was most originally planted in the Kingdom of Aragón in the northeast of Spain during the Middle Ages. Transplanted across the Mediterranean by the Aragonese, who had holdings in southern France and Italy, the original Garnacha evolved into more productive clones now planted in Southern France – the same clones that are famous for the very aromatic, lighter body and color wines that they produce. The most widely planted red grape in the world, the vast majority of the Grenache plantings are of these more modern, unauthentic clones on trellis. However, in present day Aragón, it is still possible to find vineyards of these old clones planted up to a century ago in decomposed iron rich red and black slate soils."
Jorge Ordóñez pioneered the introduction of Garnacha into the United States in the 1990s, when Garnacha was the most widely planted grape in Spain. At the time, however, all of the Spanish red wines available in the American market were Tempranillo dominant. Jorge recognized the quality of the old vine plantings of Garnacha and and the wines they produced, and exposed the United States to these sensational wines.
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.