“Gentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose ... read more
“Gentil has become a joyous, convivial wine whose arrival the Hugel family always awaits with impatience in the spring following each vintage. Gentil shows pure, fresh aromas, very fruit-driven and floral, as well as expressive and flattering. On the palate, this dry wine has a lively, youthful fresh character that is refreshing, with a pleasant, scented finish. Gentil is a perfect wine to sip with friends or to enjoy with simple everyday meals. Gentil is best enjoyed chilled with saltwater and freshwater fish, shellfish, starters and hors d’oeuvres.” -Etienne Hugel
50% Sylvaner & Pinot Blanc, 15% Gewurztraminer, 22% Pinot Gris, 7% Riesling, 6% Muscat
Produced exclusively from hand harvested grapes in predominantly clay and limestone vineyards, from a dozen of the most favored localities in and around Riquewihr. Gentil "Hugel" allies the suave, spicy flavour of Gewurztraminer, the body of Pinot Gris, the finesse of Riesling, the grapiness of Muscat and the refreshing character of both Pinot Blanc and Sylvaner.
Over half Hugel's 30-hectares are in Grand Cru vineyards Sporen and Schoenenbourg, a special source of pride, planted to Riesling and Gewurztraminer, with small parcels of Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir. Winemaking is transparent, so that fruit, soil and vintage are clearly conveyed in the glass. Handpicked grapes come to the winery in small tubs, are rigorously sorted then gravity-fed into the presses without pumping. After gentle pressing the must is decanted before a long, slow fermentation in temperature-controlled barrels or vats at 64 to 72°F. The wine is racked once, before slow natural clarification over the winter. "Hugel" wines are the quintessence of Alsace.
The Hugel website offers a wealth of information about Alsace wine, www.hugel.com. Hugel has pioneered much advancement in Alsace, including the early creation and classification of Grand Cru vineyards. Today, Hugel prefers not to use the Grand Cru designation, because the original boundaries and number of these vineyards have been expanded to include less-favored sites. House specialties include late harvest Vendange Tardive and Sélection de Grains Nobles wines, made with selected botrytis-affected grapes. Wines are released only when the family agrees they're ready; the focus is ultimate quality. A first-time taste of these wines is a revelation.
From The Wine Advocate "First of all, the name Hugel & Fils is passé, the new name is Famille Hugel. This underlines the fact that the domaine is family-owned since 1639, respectively 13 generations, and that there are currently three generations representing the Hugel "tribe," as Etienne Hugel calls his family: André Hugel and his sons Jean-Philippe, Etienne and Marc, nephew Jean-Philippe, together with the 13th generation, the cousins Jean-Frédéric, Marc-André and Christian. "We are on the move," says Etienne Hugel, one of the busy bees of the family that produces 100,000 cases per year, of which around 90% is exported to more than 100 countries worldwide.
Indeed the domaine has recently announced the first comprehensive changes since 1921 (when the Maggi-yellow color of the labels was introduced), starting the 1st of September. "Much more than just a change of name, the presentation and structure of our range of wines has been totally renovated," Etienne Hugel reports."
- 2020 — 750mL (wine) (currently viewing)
- 2019 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavalable)
- 2018 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavalable)
- 2017 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavalable)
- 2016 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavalable)
- 2015 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavalable)
- 2014 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavalable)
- 2013 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavalable)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.