"Located near Sant'Angelo in Colle, Lisini's 24ha of vines surround the winery at 300-400 metres above sea level. While they usually harvest during the third week of September, in 2014 picking started mid-October. Discreet yet well-defined aromas of sage, red cherry, blood orange peel and wet earth gradually unfold on the nose. The palate is just as captivating, offering brightness, purity and polish with ripe, fine-boned tannins and juicy acidity. This is all finesse. ... read more
While this item is not available, here are a few that are!
- view all
"Located near Sant'Angelo in Colle, Lisini's 24ha of vines surround the winery at 300-400 metres above sea level. While they usually harvest during the third week of September, in 2014 picking started mid-October. Discreet yet well-defined aromas of sage, red cherry, blood orange peel and wet earth gradually unfold on the nose. The palate is just as captivating, offering brightness, purity and polish with ripe, fine-boned tannins and juicy acidity. This is all finesse. A standout for the vintage. Drinking Window 2019 - 2029"
Wine Enthusiast 91
"Rose, graphite, Mediterranean herb and underbrush aromas mingle with a whiff of wet wool. On the palate, taut tannins and racy acidity frame juicy Marasca cherry, orange zest, culinary spice and an earthy hint of game. Drink 20212029."
James Suckling 91
"This has aromas of ripe darker cherries and plums with violets and cedar, leading to a supple core of bright cherries that arrive in juicy and quite bold style. Chewy tannins cut the finish. Drink or hold."
Wine Spectator 90
"Dense, with grainy tannins underneath the black cherry and blackberry fruit. Tar and eucalyptus accents add depth. This shows more intensity and length than many 2014s. Best from 2021 through 2033. 1,800 cases made, 400 cases imported. BS"
"Lisini is one of Montalcino's historic, reference-point estates."--Antonio Galloni, February 2015
"Boutique winery Lisini makes quintessential Brunellos that perfectly demonstrate their exclusively Sangiovese origins. Given the cult status and high demand of Lisini Brunellos, these bottlings easily put to rest the idea that what people really want is a little Merlot blended into their Brunellos. Rather than overoak, overextract, or overripen, the firm prefers to craft its classic offerings with the denominations tried and true winemaking methods.''--Kerin O'Keefe, Brunello di Montalcino
There are few other estates in Montalcino with roots as deep as Lisini. The Lisini-Clementi family has owned lands in Montalcino since the sixteenth century, and the historic tower and loggia on the property has its beginnings in the 1300s. The first vines were planted here in the 1930s, well before the international craze for the area's wines. And Lisini wasn't just one of the founding members of the consorzio di Brunello in the 1967: The late Elina Lisini, the head of the family until her passing in 2009 was its first and only female president in 1970! Today, the estate totals roughly 150 hectares that surround the ancient farmhouse and winery, and brothers Carlo and Lorenzo, along with cousin Ludovica, continue the traditions of their forebearers. This includes not just the production of wine--which is based entirely on the noble sangiovese grape--but also of olive oil. Their location, in the hills surrounding Sant'Angelo in Colle, in the Southwest corner of Montalcino, are particularly favorable to the cultivation of both sangiovese and olives. Their 20 or so hectares of vineyards are at an average elevation of 350 meters above sea level, and open to the south, towards the Maremma area of Tuscany, making them drier and more ventilated than other locations more landlocked than Lisini.
With the history of the Lisini family running so deep in Montalcino, the current regime saw no other way to produce their wines other than with respect for tradition. This means that only sangiovese is grown, fermentations take place in glass lined cement tanks, and all wines age in large Slavonian oak casks. The winemaking at the estate was guided starting in the 1980s for many years by Franco Bernabei (of Felsina and Fontodi fame) who then trained the current staff enologist Filippo Paoletti. The late Giulio Gambelli (the original "sangiovesista", responsible for many years at Biondi Santi and Soldera, and the creator of Le Pergole Torte), also collaborated with the Lisinis for a while, and current winemaker Filippo counts both of these as important inspirations and influences on his work.
- 2017 — 750mL (wine) (available to order)
- 2016 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavialable)
- 2014 — 750mL (wine) (currently viewing)
- 2013 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavialable)
- 2012 — 750mL (wine) (currently unavialable)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.