OFF Sample Image Only
In this edition of 14,000 bottles, the 2018 Sicilia Nerello Mascalese Eruzione 1614 is a beautifully elegant and streamlined wine that reflects the precision and careful winemaking that is a hallmark of the Planeta family. This wine opens to fine and nuanced aromas of wild berry, cassis and rose. Etched mineral notes and light spice frame a core of pretty fruit. This is a classic Etna red that can be stretched out to ... read more
In this edition of 14,000 bottles, the 2018 Sicilia Nerello Mascalese Eruzione 1614 is a beautifully elegant and streamlined wine that reflects the precision and careful winemaking that is a hallmark of the Planeta family. This wine opens to fine and nuanced aromas of wild berry, cassis and rose. Etched mineral notes and light spice frame a core of pretty fruit. This is a classic Etna red that can be stretched out to a 10-year drinking window if desired, although there's no reason not to enjoy this bottle straight out of the gate.~M.L.
Wine Enthusiast 92
Delicately fragrant and poised, this focused red offers enticing scents suggesting wild rose, red berries, wet stone and a whiff of flinty mineral. Hailing from extremely high-altitude vineyards, the linear, ethereal palate features tart sour cherry, pomegranate, white pepper and saline alongside racy acidity. Lithe tannins lend polished support.~K.O.
Wine Spectator 90
Pretty plum and raspberry fruit flavors are accented by a fine, aromatic thread of dried thyme, smoky mineral and rosehip in this harmonious, light- to medium-bodied red. Drink now through 2024.~A.N.
Vinous Media 90
As if you can smell the ashen volcanic soils that these vines grow in, the 2018 Nerello Mascalese Eruzione 1614 wafts up smoky and musky, with a complement of cherry and dried strawberry that fully completes the experience. This is soft and fleshy in feel, boasting a noticeable inner sweetness nicely balanced by brisk acids and pretty inner florals. The 2018 lacks the persistence and structure to promote long-term cellaring, but makes up for it with sheer drinkability.~E.G.
Another part of the plan lies within the arena where the best wine producers from five continents are judged. Chardonnay, Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet; great classics of international winemaking interpreted by a territory that marks them in an unmistakable manner, giving rise to wines that are profoundly Sicilian as much as the great indigenous varieties. Without forgetting the most energetic and almost visionary investigation into varieties and territories which allowed us to achieve a great Fiano for the first time in Sicily.
In 2012, with the goal of furthering its terroir-based approach, Planeta has hired French consultants Florent Dumeau and Xaviér Choné. Both graduates of the authoritative school of enology in Bordeaux, Florent and Xavier consider themselves terroir-oriented enologists, a statement that fits perfectly with Planeta's ideas and work: namely expressing the differences of the various terroirs throughout Sicily.
Menfi, in the southeastern portion of Sicily, is the heart of Planeta and its operational base. Various types of soil are found here, but all are rich in lime and clay, ideal for the international red grape varieties which are transformed into wine at La Dispensa winery – Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.
All of the company's activities have a single theme; environmental sustainability. Through the use of solar panels and biomass production, principally pruning residues to produce energy, through the re-use and recycling of all materials used in the production cycle and the exclusive use of recycled paper for packing and printed materials. Because the land and the environment are a collective benefit as well as the company's heritage, and it is a duty to make every effort to preserve it.
Alessio, Francesca and Santi Planeta established the company and this plan of action, but the whole family is with them, rooted in the reality of Sicilian agriculture for generations. A family and a company which has always given themselves ambitious aims, following the dictate of quality, a rigorous respect for the environment and for social responsibility. From the family properties at Menfi and Sambuca di Sicilia, and then at Vittoria and Noto to the latest acquisitions on Etna, a single Journey, through Sicily and its greatest wines.
- 2018 — 750mL (wine) (currently viewing)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.