Dense, alluring purple fruit dominates the nose with a nice touch of violet, red plum, and sage on the periphery. Rich and full bodied, the wine packs many layers as it coats the mouth. At first the wine comes off as full bodied and ripe, but then shows red pomegranate brightness towards the finish. Already showing great – who doesn’t love deep dark and delicious? 2015 Para Maria once again drinks ... read more
Dense, alluring purple fruit dominates the nose with a nice touch of violet, red plum, and sage on the periphery. Rich and full bodied, the wine packs many layers as it coats the mouth. At first the wine comes off as full bodied and ripe, but then shows red pomegranate brightness towards the finish. Already showing great – who doesn’t love deep dark and delicious? 2015 Para Maria once again drinks way above its pay grade.
Para Maria is our partnership with vineyard manager Ruben Solorzano and his wife, Maria, our Forewoman. 2015 marks the second vintage of Para Maria, and for the first time, the wine incorporates fruit from the other vineyards Ruben farms.
We named the wine after Ruben’s wife, Maria. While Ruben oversees Stolpman and a dozen other vineyards, Maria fully focuses on Stolpman as full-time leader of La Cuadrilla. By relying on Maria to ensure impeccably detailed work on their home vineyard, Ruben spread his wings and gained fame for farming the best vineyards in Santa Barbara County. Maria is truly the woman behind the man.
Maria Solorzano grew up in the small village of Santa Cruz, two hours away from Guadalajara and only a few miles away from Ruben’s Ranchito. Ruben and the other locals referred to the villagers of Santa Cruz as Tecolotes, or Night Owls, because they threw the best, longest lasting parties. Today, Maria and La Cuadrilla turn nocturnal for three months every year, harvesting in the cool of the night, under the watchful eye of our resident Great Horned Owls.
Creative Director Kari Crist took a new hand-print from her wooden owl carving for this year’s blend.
2015 will certainly go down as a great vintage in Santa Barbara County. Due to cold, windy conditions at the start of the year, yields dipped drastically. The weather then slipped into a predictably moderate flow through harvest. Vines easily ripened less fruit earlier in the year and we had the luxury of carefully choosing our picking dates. We chose to pick the Syrah for Para Maria over a two week stretch to get a wider continuum of flavor.
AT THE WINERY
93% Syrah 7% Petite Verdot. One third of the Syrah, the lots that we harvested earlier, is carbonically fermented (uncrushed whole grapes in a sealed tank). The Carbonic portion adds fresh, bright red tones and exciting energy from the nose through the palate. The later picked Syrah lends depth and darker flavors while the Petite Verdot adds pleasurable juiciness and richer texture.
You can look at Stolpman Wines in the following categories...
Stolpman Estate's flagship wines are the Sauvignon Blanc, the Uni White Blend, and the archetypal Syrah. In addition to these wines, the La Cuadrilla program – which was developed as a small program to engage their year-round vineyard team to take ownership on one block of vines and has now grown to a profit-sharing program that represents 10% of the total production.
So Fresh wines include the Love You Bunches lineup & Crunchy Rôastie Syrah. The grapes destined for these wines are natively fermented whole, un-crushed, for a delicately high-toned profile. Harvested early for lighter mouthfeel and higher acidity, wines go to bottle early to capture purity and freshness without added sulfur.
Para Maria is vignerons Ruben and Maria Solorzano's project with the Stolpman family. Ruben cherry picks the fruit for red and rose wines from the dozens of Santa Barbara County vineyards under his farming control.
Combe is Pete Stolpman's esoteric project that came about around 2010 when Pete became convinced by Rajat Parr of Domaine de la Côte of the great potential for Trousseau grapes on the limestone soils of Stolpman Vineyards. In 2014 he produced his first wines from 3.5 acres of Trousseau and then 1.5 acres of Chenin Blanc in 2016. More varieties such as Mondeuse, Poulsard, and Savagnin are soon to become part of the Combe program. These wines are bottled without added sulfur or other additions.
Farming Practice:Practicing Organic
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.