“This has notes of blackcurrants, black olives, graphite and rosemary. It’s firm, delicious and so balanced, with firm tannins and yet such a juicy fruit profile. Fantastic value. Drink or hold.”
In 1999, he moved back to the United States, specifically to the Pacific Northwest, opening a wine shop on Bainbridge Island, just across the Puget Sound from downtown Seattle. On a road trip in late 1999, he passed through the small town of Walla Walla and met a young Frenchman and winemaker. The two men discovered their common passion for great Syrah and Charles was eventually convinced to move to Walla Walla and make his own juice. On December 2nd, 2001, Charles released his first wine, 330 cases of the 1999 K Syrah. The Walla Walla Valley was now his home.
After a devastating freeze in 2004, Charles brought to life a label he had once in a dream: HOUSE WINES. Low and behold, the label concept had never been created or trademarked, so Charles launched the legendary brand before selling it to Precept Brands in 2006. That same year, Charles started a second brand, Charles Smith Wines. The brand was themed as "The Modernist Project," which focuses on the way people generally consume wine today: immediately. As the collection grew in popularity, Charles wanted to provide even more people around the globe access to the exceptional wines, so he sold the collection of five wines --Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Eve Chardonnay, Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon, The Velvet Devil Merlot and Boom Boom! Syrah--to Constellation Brands in October 2016 in order to bring them to consumers around the world through their global distribution network. The intent was (and still is) to create wines to be enjoyed now, but with true typicity of both the varietal and the vineyard. His story continued with the creation of Charles & Charles, ViNO CasaSmith, SIXTO, POPUP, and Substance. The constant innovator and his restless nature ensure that the story doesn't end there.
In 2015, the Charles Smith footprint broadened to Seattle with the opening of Jet City, the largest urban winery on the west coast, that has attracted tens of thousands of visitors since its debut.
In 2017, he unveiled a new name for his international company and vast portfolio – Wines of Substance, which is defined as the quality of being important, valid and significant. Wines of Substance illustrates Charles' philosophy of producing exceptional wines to be enjoyed by everyone around the globe.
In 2019, Charles unveiled his latest project, POPUP. POPUP is the first chapter of his new wine story. It's a story of innovation by an American winemaker. A fresh, contemporary, of-the-moment take on the worlds most celebrated traditions, wine with bubbles.
Charles Smith is the only person to have received Winemaker of the Year distinctions by both Wine Enthusiast (2014) and Food & Wine (2009). In 2008, K Vintners was recognized by Wine & Spirits magazine as one of the "Best New Wineries of the Last Ten Years," and as "Winery of the Year" in their annual buying guide. His wines continue to receive broad recognition from leading wine publications such as Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator, Wine Enthusiast, and Wine & Spirits with 165 scores of 95 points and above, and 632 scores of 90 points and above.
Charles currently resides in Seattle and Walla Walla with his daughter, Charlotte.
- 2021 — 750mL (wine)(currently viewing)
- 2019 — 750mL (wine)(currently unavialable)
- 2018 — 750mL (wine)(currently unavialable)
- 2017 — 750mL (wine)(currently unavialable)
- 2016 — 750mL (wine)(currently unavialable)
- 2015 — 750mL (wine)(currently unavialable)
- 2014 — 750mL (wine)(currently unavialable)
- 2013 — 750mL (wine)(currently unavialable)
Do you agree?
When shopping for grocery items, we want to make sure you know that Empire Wine & Spirits, LLC dba Empire Wine & Liquor and Empire Edibles, LLC (dba Empire Too) are separate businesses.
Wine & Liquor are sold through Empire Wine & Liquor and Grocery items and Beer are sold through Empire Too.
In order to accept a transaction containing items from both businesses, there will be a separate charge originating from each respective business.
One delivery will be made and only charge a single delivery fee. Final rates will be calculated in the shopping cart. Gift cards sold by Empire Wine & Liquor CAN NOT be used on items sold by Empire Too.
Each coupon only applies to the above specified qualifying item.
How to redeem the coupon:
- Add the coupon to your shopping cart by clicking the apply coupon checkbox. Each coupon is only valid for a limited time or while stocks last. Once you have applied a coupon, the date by which you must redeem it (the "Expiry Date") will be displayed on the coupon. You will usually have until 11:59pm on the expiration date to redeem the coupon. Quantities are limited and collected coupon may expire before the expiration date.
- Add a Qualifying Item to your shopping cart by clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and place your order for the Qualifying Item.
- The coupon discount will be automatically applied at checkout, reducing the price of the Qualifying Item accordingly. If the discount has been applied successfully, it will appear on the final Checkout page.
Terms and Conditions:
- Empire Wine & Liquor, LLC reserves the right to modify or cancel any coupon at any time.
- Each coupon may only be used at www.empirewine.com for the purchase of Qualifying Items.
- Each coupon collected can only be used once. Customers may be able to collect some coupons more than once, however, customers may not collect and use a coupon more than 10 times and may not use more than one of the same coupon in a single order.If you return any Qualifying Item(s) purchased with a coupon, the coupon discount or value will be subtracted from the refund you receive.
- Offers valid in each case while stocks last.
- Coupons have no cash redemption value and are not transferable or assignable.
- Coupons must not be used in conjunction with any other promotional discounts.