Grand Cru Classé in 1855
At the beginning of the 19th century, John-Lewis Brown (1769-1851), bought a vineyard and designed in the village of Cantenac, a traditional Tudor style château, reminding him of his Scottish origins. His name is forever linked to the Grand Cru Classé. His grandson, John-Lewis Brown (1829-1890) esteemed animal painter and "Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur", spent time there during his childhood.
In 1843, Mr. Gromard, banker, took over the estate. After the 1855 Grand Cru Classification, Louis Armand Lalande (1820-1894), Bordeaux winemerchant and owner of several estates in Médoc, extended the building. Surrounded by a remarkable British style park, Château Cantenac Brown is since then among the most original in Médoc.
With José Sanfins in charge, methods have changed.
The vineyard is managed in a more environmentally friendly way: the "sustainable approach" goes without saying.
The vines are cared for throughout the year and yields are perfectly controlled.
Strictly plant-based fertilizers are applied in a moderately and balanced way in tune with the needs of the vines.
This respect for Nature explains why the Château Cantenac Brown team continues to use the traditional soil maintenance techniques, which gradually enhance the structural, chemical and biological properties of the earth.
A perfect match between Men and Nature..."
Over 400 000 vinestocks are managed every year. Pruning, removal of buds, leaves and secondary shoots, hand harvest ..., several times per year the whole team works vine by vine and checks each single cluster.
Such a sharp selection does not replace the environment. The finest wines are given by the Nature.