Vega Sicilia

Spain's most famous and important wine estate is located at Valbuena del Duero, 30 km east of the ancient university town of Valladolid. The northern boundary of the estate is marked by the main road that runs along the left bank of the Duero (Douro) river between the river bank and the hilltops are some of Spain's most prized vineyards, on north-facing slopes at altitudes of 750-800m above sea level.

Care begins in the vineyards. Neither chemical fertilizers nor herbicides are used, but organic compost will be added if the vines are suffering unduly. This way, the high average age of the vineyards is maintained. The combination of old vines and severe pruning limits yields, which are further reduced by strict selection at harvest time. The altitude and cold nights delay ripening, and Vega Sicilia only harvest when the grapes are truly ready, which means late October or even November on occasion. Picking is by hand, and the crop is transported to the bodega in small plastic boxes so as to arrive in perfect condition.

Read More

Vega Sicilia 'Valbuena 5 Ano' Tempranillo 2012
95  Wine Advocate 
Wine Advocate 95 "The 2012 Valbuena was cropped from a vintage with a very dry and warm summer that resulted in very healthy grapes. Since the 2010 vintage, this wine is fermented plot by plot following the findings from a soils study they did. The élevage is in French and American oak barrels that

Vega Sicilia/B. Rothschild Macan Rioja 2012
90  Wine Spectator 
Wine Spectator 90 "Licorice and graphite notes frame black cherry and dried herb flavors in this polished red. Not exuberant, but balanced, with harmony and depth. Drink now through 2024. 230 cases imported." ~ TM  100% Tempranillo, aged two years in French oak and one year in bottle before

Vega Sicilia 'Valbuena 5 Ano' Tempranillo 2009
94  Wine Advocate 
Wine Advocate 94 "The 2009 Valbuena was harvested early, the result of a warm summer. It’s mostly Tempranillo complemented with 5% Merlot. The wine matured for five months in 20,000-liter oak vats, 16 months in new barriques (equal parts French and American oak), four months in used barrels and

Pintia Tempranillo 2008
95  Wine Advocate 
Wine Advocate 95 "The 2008 Pintia has a fragrant bouquet with scents of dark plum, mulberry and fresh cherry, the new oak neatly folded into the fruit profile. The palate is medium-bodied with a fleshy, silky smooth entry. The tannins here are very fine with dark cherries, a touch of sloe and

Vega Sicilia 'Unico' Tempranillo 1998
98  Robert Parker 
Robert Parker 98 "The 1998 Unico is purple-colored with a complex bouquet of wood smoke, violets, Asian spices, mineral, blueberry, and assorted black fruits. This is followed by a full-bodied, dense, loaded wine with gobs of sweet fruit, great concentration, and layers of flavor. It will continue

Vega Sicilia 'Valbuena 5 Ano' Tempranillo 2006
94  Robert Parker 
Robert Parker 94 "I reviewed the 2006 Valbuena in Issue 189 (June 2010) when it was in bottle, but not yet released. It is composed of 80% Tempranillo with the remaining 20% Merlot and Malbec (the latter a rarely seen grape in Spain). Another 8 months in bottle seems to have resulted in a more

Vega Sicilia 'Unico' Tempranillo 1999
96  International Wine Cellar 
 Robert Parker 96 "The 1999 Unico delivers an ethereal bouquet of smoke, pencil lead, violets, leather, incense, black cherry, and blackberry. Already complex on the palate thanks to its lengthy upbringing, this opulent wine has layers of black fruit flavor, impeccable balance, and another twenty

Vega Sicilia 'Unico' Tempranillo 2000
98  Wine Advocate 
Wine Advocate 98 "In the absence of a 2001 Unico, Vega Sicilia has re-released the 2000 Unico which I reviewed in Issue 189. The 2000 Unico is deep crimson-colored with an ethereal perfume aided by its extended upbringing. Aromas of Asian spices, lavender, incense, truffle, and confiture of black

Vega Sicilia Valbuena 5 Ano 2003
94  Robert Parker 
Robert Parker 94 "The 2003 Valbuena is purple-colored and super-fragrant with aromas of pain grille, pencil lead, black currant, and blackberry liqueur. This is followed by a powerful, concentrated wine with an opulent palate-feel, layers of flavor, and beautiful integration of oak, tannin, and

Vega Sicilia Valbuena 5 Ano 2002
92  Robert Parker 
Robert Parker 92 "The Valbuena offering is a brilliant introduction to the winery. The 2002, from a supposedly average vintage, is purple in color with an expressive nose of pain grille, earth, herbs, lead pencil, and blackberries. It offers layers of ripe fruit, excellent depth and concentration,

Bodegas Vega Sicilia Unico 1996
95  Robert Parker 
Robert Parker 95 "The 1996 Unico seems more developed aromatically than the 1995 with elements of coffee and mocha but not quite the richness of fruit of the 1995. It is more supple on the palate but with less depth. It can be enjoyed now and over the next 20 years. Score: 95. Jay Miller,